Gary Con IV

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by otto von grunwald, Apr 2, 2011.

1. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Well next year I' am going to dedicate my time to ONE game. (Yes, I fallen in love with another new game!) I plan to run this game as a three day, elimination-round tournament.
    The first day, Friday, there will be 16 slots available. There will be two, two-player teams in four events/games. (Teams selected randomly). The winning teams, (four teams of two, eight players), of this event will progress to the next day, Saturday. New teams will then be randomly selected to face-off for round two. The two winning teams (four players) will then face each other, individually, on Sunday, for the championship. The final round will NOT be team play. All or nothing, ONE WINNER! :twisted:
    &, no I haven't "NAMED THE GAME", yet, but I will!!! :lol:
    More tomorrow!!!

2. mark

mark Spellbinder

tease

3. the keeper

the keeper Spellbinder

Okay, it's tomorrow. The best way I can describe the game is like this.........
    If you were to take "Axis & Allies" & combine it into a "D & D " world you would have a game full of armies of humans & goblins & elves & undead. (YEP! It's got that.)
    These armies would be comprised of all sorts of things like, knights & warships & wizards & castles & skeletal warriors & siege engines & treants & storm elementals & DRAGONS. (Yep! It's got that too.)
    Next you would need some nations players could recognize, say The Iron Circle or the Vailin Alliance or the Empire of Karkoth or the Nerathan League. (Of course it has that.)
    Then you would want to sprinkle in some well known locations where heroes could spend some time relaxing, like "The Forbidden City", "The Temple of Elemental Evil" or the "Tomb of Horrors".
    (OH HELL YEAH!)
    Now some players wouldn't mind spending ten hours beating their opponents to a bloody pulp to FINALLY conquer their capital, but other players would prefer to acquire victory in a much shorter time, say 2-3 hours. (It has those options as well.)
    If this game sounds like your "cup-o-tea" then I would suggest you use the following link to read, & see, more.......
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/663 ... e-on-a-sch
    There is also an instructional video done by The Dice Tower, & here is that link..........
    http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/7549 ... -of-nerath
    Alright then, I will now start a new thread here on the forums for those that wish to discuss this tournament further, & it will be called "Conquest of Nerath".

Gaming Forever,
    The Keeper

4. bloodymage

bloodymage Chevalier

I'm in Cottonwood AZ. It's really not a bad place, but I've gotten myself into a fancy condo set-up next to the high school and three churches and I just can't keep up w/ these kids and every night the pump out redneck music. Now, I was raised redneck and I don't have a beef with country, I just don't want it forced on me.

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I've been to Cottonwood! We were only driving through it, though, just exploring when we were visiting Sedona. I think that was the day we ended up going to Montezuma's Castle.

6. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

having 28 years of experience as an AD&D Player & DM (mostly with AD&D2E), my primary goal for my first GaryCon is to show up with a notebook full of AD&D2E Forgotten Realms characters ranging from 1st-10th level and play some pick up games.

I also want to get a bit of experience with Lejendary Adventure, Castles & Crusades and whatever 'throwback' systems that may be running to see what I have missed out on for the past several years.

Beyond that, I may get bold enough to bring the original boxed set of the Ruins of UnderMountain to set up one day for an all day and half the night round robin. :twisted: I believe UnderMountain would be a perfect setting for a pick-up game. Heroes come and go throughout the Mad Wizard's twisting corridors and massive chambers, riddled with all manner of devious monsters, tricks, and teleport traps.

If anyone is interested in this, send me a PM and we may start our own thread concerning The Ruins of UnderMountain under the RPG Discussion.

Thanks! Looking forward to meeting you all. :D

7. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Mythmere does this with his Mythrus Tower megadungeon at NTRPG Con. It works very well. Some guys play every session, others drop in and out. Players are sharing intel and maps and running into the wreckage of the previous group's adventure. Creates a good shared experience and makes the place seem truly alive. Similarly, grodog has done this with his Castle Greyhawk and Philotomy with his Cromlech Tor megadungeon.

I think an ongoing UnderMountain megadungeon experience is perfect for Gary Con.

8. blackmote

blackmote Footpad

awesome! :D Thanks for the insight Chainsaw.

I figured I wasn't the first to have thought of this insane idea. It's good to know that the 'megadungeon run' has been proven to work well at the cons. It's been a while since I've been to a gaming convention. :cry:

9. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Reserved my room - 6 months and counting!

When's registration open? Any update on the new front page?

10. Dale

Dale Administrator

Soon. Very soon. :D

Working out the last bit of changes.

11. chainsaw

chainsaw Troubadour

Cool man

12. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

Very well then, it's high time the Dead Games Society chimed in regarding attendance at the Garycon IV! We shall again be present and with plenty of events in hand. I'm not sure what part of the convention I enjoy most, the part where I start choosing what to run, the part where I start designing what I have chosen to run or the actual running of it all? Ah, it's all part of the same process and thus all fun.

I won't speak for my comrades, but I'm departing somewhat a bit from my usual pure old school TSR fare this year and running a few games outside the brand. For this year's convention I bring...

Reflections of Amber, Amber Diceless Roleplaying

The Chicago Way, Gangbusters

Winter's Bloom, Vampire, The Dark Ages (VtM)

The Left Hand of Omega, The Doctor Who Role Playing Game (Fasa)

So I hope to see you at the table!

13. sir jon

sir jon Spellbinder

Aw, I wanna play Gangbusters! Hope I have the time.

14. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I'll save you a spot . I've ran it at two conventions now, starting with Gencon 2008 and then Con on the Cob 2010 in Ohio. The ongoing tradition is to use past characters as NPCs for future events and oh boy we have some, shall we say, colorful NPCs in town.

Hope we'll be seeing a lot more of your character around Chicago in the 1920's. ;)

15. ghul

ghul Chevalier

Two rooms reserved for my crew.

Flight booked.

Gary Con or bust.

'Nuff said.

16. dekelia

dekelia Level 0 Character

The Goblin's Killed My Family group will be there again, for sure. I'm trying to talk our regular DM (I'm a secondary DM) into running a game.

Kevin (the Butcher DM)

17. extsr

extsr Chevalier

I will again be hosting a Sunday morning Ticket To Ride Europe game in Gary's honor.*
    Seating is extremely limited.
    But we can play two games/boards if there are a lot of players.

* Gary taught me to play this at a LGGC, and we played every con Sunday thereafter. He almost always won of course, but I beat him once. :eek:

My Sunday game of the classic cardgame PIT was also lots of fun, so I will prolly reprise that also.

Frank Mentzer

18. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Excellent. Since I'm leaving Monday, I might be able to get in on this game this time. I think I've actually played Ticket to Ride once...

Maybe I can get a snow shovel and pry my wife out of bed for this, too.

19. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I may have mentioned this, but I can't seem to find it, but I'm starting to look forward to Gary Con more than Gen Con. Gen Con has become a working convention for me. With all of my ENnie duties and the annual dinner event I host, I only have time for a couple of games, especially if I want to spend time wandering the Dealer Hall. It's big enough that I always have to push my wife around in her wheelchair, so that adds time, too, especially if there are seminars or workshops that she participates in that I don't (sorry, I don't need to learn wirebending or jewelry making techniques :p).

But at Gary Con, I'm free to spend the majority of my time playing, whether I'm running a game or just playing, it's all play to me. It's small enough that my wife isn't totally dependent on her wheelchair, and in fact, I don't think we've ever brought it to Gary Con. Plus, it's small enough that she's not intimidated to sit at the table and play. You have to admit, some of the players at big conventions like Gen Con can get a little...intense. She never played an RPG before meeting me, and the narcotics she's on due to her pain management needs means that it's VERY difficult for her to follow some of the complex rules our RPGs can have.

I won't stop going to Gen Con, not while it's in Indianapolis, at least. I live here and I have work to do at the convention. But Gary Con is where the play is at. :)

20. red wizard

red wizard Troubadour

I was lucky enough to hold a seat for this event at Garycon III and if fortune smiles upon me again, I'll once more unwind from my marathon of GMing by holding a seat at this event during Garycon IV.