Gary Con X Events

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dndgeek, May 22, 2017.

1. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

I played in a Gen Con event several years ago that was League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: 80's style. Characters were Jack Burton from Big Trouble in Little China, Dutch from Predator, etc. Super fun game. I've played with the same GM (Karl Keesler) multiple times. I just wasn't sure if I came up with the Gentlewomen angle or if I'd seen that somewhere too.

2. dndgeek

dndgeek Troubadour

I have a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen event scheduled for next year (2019) using Castle Falkenstein rules for the 25th anniversary of CF and the 20th anniversary of LoEG.

Scott M. likes this.
  3. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

I ran that. There were two women PCs: Melina Havelock (from For Your Eyes Only) and Sarah Conner, the rest were men: Jack Burton, Doc Brown, B.A. Baracus, and MacGyver. I adapted Karl Kessler's Savage Worlds version that Scott M. played for Fate Accelerated.

Melf and Jarlaxle like this.
  4. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

How did it go, Hans? I can see how you could create some entertaining aspects for very familiar characters in a Fate version. (Tell me that one of B.A.'s was "I pity the fool...")

Every event I've played in with Karl has been fantastic. He goes over the top with minis and scenery and everything. Most recently I played in his "Kung Fury" event at Gen Con this year. Hysterical. I hope to live up to the standard of fun he has set.

5. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

It was a fun game. I can't remember if Karl's version includes Sho'Nuff from "The Last Dragon," but I put him in as an Underboss (plus, I love Julius Carey, so that outweighs my discomfort at bringing in Blaxploitation characters) in an scene where the PCs get shrunk ala "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids." Having 1" heroes try to fight, the meanest, prettiest, baddest mofo low down around the town (Sho'Nuff!) is very entertaining.

Fate is surprisingly challenging at a conventions, because there are a lot of players who haven't played it who will sign up for it, and it's such a different game play style than traditional RPGs. A lot of players aren't that comfortable having that much narrative control. They do pretty well once they get the hang of it, though.

I didn't have one of his aspects as "Pity the Fool," but I did have "Talk to my fist, fool." (Along with Former Special Forces Fugitive, Pteromechanophobia, Gearhead Grease Monkey (in retrospect, I should rename that aspect), and Don't Touch My Van or Mess with Kids.

Poindexter and Scott M. like this.
  6. fmillard

fmillard Level 0 Character

I ran "The League of Extraordinary Women" last year ... a for women only game. Had the likes of Buffy, Hermione Granger, Katniss Everdeen, Furiosa (Mad Max), and several others trying to located the kidnapped daughter of President Ford in the late '70s. Was also a Savage Worlds ... Not stepping on any toes, however, as I'm not planning on running anything similar this year. Have at it, enjoy, and if I get a chance, I'll sign up to play it as well! Frank

Scott M. likes this.
  7. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

Awesome! Would love to have you join. And that answers why I had a vague deja vu about the concept. I don't intend to restrict who can play, but I hope it will appeal to some female gamers. I just submitted a second session aimed at Sunday morning.

fmillard likes this.
  8. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Do you have enough characters? If not, I can suggest a few more.

9. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

Yes, please. I brainstormed maybe 15-16 and wrote up 8. But I would be super happy to upgrade/swap out.

10. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Ziva David (NCIS)
    Karrin Murphy
    Molly Carpenter (Dresden Files)
    Jane Doe (Blindspot)
    Detective Amelia Sachs (Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme books)

Who do you have?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  11. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

Ooh, I hadn't thought of the Jim Butcher characters. I'm only sort of familiar with NCIS and not at all with the others. I'll have to see if I have time to read/research. Thank you.

Right now I worked up: Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, Dana Scully, Buffy Summers, Trinity (Matrix), Michone (Walking Dead), Alice (Resident Evil), Selene (Underworld).

Poindexter and dndgeek like this.
  12. Buttmonkey

Buttmonkey Troubadour

Sidney Bristow from Alias.

Max Guevera (Jessica Alba's character from Dark Angel).

Poindexter, Melf and Scott M. like this.
  13. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Ziva David is...well, an expert in spycraft, as well as an excellent shot and good hand-to-hand fighter. (She is Mossad.)
    Sachs is a former fashion model, now an NYPD detective-expert driver, and competition pistol shooter. (A little like Murph, but a lot taller.) Decent in a fight, but limited by arthritis in both legs.
    Jane Doe is an enigma. (I highly recommend watching the first season of Blindspot.)

14. Melf

Melf Administrator Staff Member

I loved BA Baracus! I was such a huge fan of the A Team. It hasn't aged well though. I tried watching it as an adult... but I would play BA in a heart beat!

15. Scott M.

Scott M. Footpad

I also love BA (and the other A-Team guys, MacGuyver, etc.). To me, that's an appeal of these games: the players come in with a strong mental image of and affection for their characters. Everyone knows BA's catchphrases and quirks (or Sarah Connor's for that matter). I feel like most of my chosen female characters are well known enough. Perhaps Alice and Selene are the most borderline?

But I'm also choosing based on weaving elements of each character's world into the plot of the adventure. That's why a hero from a galaxy far far away might be super well known but difficult to combine with 21st century Earthling party mates. And I arbitrarily ruled out whole swaths of potential characters. I couldn't pick among the many awesome Xmen/Marvel female heroes, so I chose none. I'm writing a separate Stargate module, so Samantha Carter was out. But too many compelling characters is a good problem to have!

Poindexter, Melf and SoulCatcher78 like this.
  16. JediSoth

JediSoth Troubadour

Many fools were pitied in that game, I can tell you.

17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

I just thought of a couple others...
    Hermione Granger
    Kathryn Dance (police profiler, from Jeff Deaver's books)

18. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

Ok so here's my events as submitted

Thursday: Castle Amber (AD&D) 2-6 PM
    Friday: A Pack of Orcs Now (AD&D) 2-6PM
    Saturday: Descent into Krimmea (AS&SH) 2-6PM
    Sunday: Squad Leader 8-12
    Squad Leader - Stalingrad 10-2.

19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Troubadour

Looks like you have Squad Leader games overlapping Sunday.

20. Khasimir

Khasimir Footpad

I do, as the 8-12 is for people who have experience with the system. The second one is for people who don't really have any experience or those who last played circa 1980.